Work In Progress

Work In Progress - We're working on it, honest!

Friday 4 November 2011

Dm Ramble: Thief 4

Greetings folks,

Dm here feeling distinctly under the weather, but i digress...

Once again another boring afternoon has led me upon something one of my favorite news sites that shall we say sparked my interest.

Story boards for Thief 4.


http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114006-Thief-4-Storyboards-Leak

Done last year? Curious... the article speaks for itself, generally giving us nothing more than slice of "oh yeah, this is the tone of the thief games" and nothing more.

As artwork it's certainly interesting.

Without shadow of a doubt the Thief series is one of my all time favorites: dark, atmospheric and certainly a unique setting when stealth wasn't about walking into room armed with machine guns, or running across rooftops in broad daylight!

Many a time I've found myself crouched in a dark alcove, guards a mere foot away form me, my heart in my throat wishing the git would look the other way! Now that's immersion... okay every so often I have a habit of crouched in dark corners wondering where my light gem is, but that's neither here nor there.

Thief 4 is one of those games that's been discussed and mulled over for few years now; after the events of the 1st 2nd games, the 3rd got one hell of a graphical boost but still keeping in with the overall developing proto-victoriana-medieval-magi punk world.

At the end of 3 our hero Garrett literally becomes a parody of the very first cut scene in Thief 1, the dark hooded man from a secret order, giving some present child a choice, almost praising him for being bale to see what does not want to be seen... to be fair a good homage and end to series to literally come full circle.

So what could 4 have in stall for us? Going on concept art shown in this link, another shift towards a more steam punk/victoriana setting the popular style you find in discworld or fable games, I'm betting.

Everything else is still a mystery but with modern graphics and systems would we be looking at a Splinter Cell or Assassin's Creed WITH STEALTH!? I can't stress that enough, really...

As for story... God only knows, it can't be Garrett any more (alas), unless they do it as some sort of prequel (God forbid) or maybe they will just advance onwards, all the more for enriching and truly making up a unique and varied fantasy setting, only time will tell really.

Until next when I feel the need to ramble on.

Dm here reminding you when 2D6 don't work a D12 is better! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment