Work In Progress

Work In Progress - We're working on it, honest!

Monday 10 October 2011

Pandora gives us a slice of music.


Hi there, Pandora here. When I was deciding what to write about this time, I decided I didn't want to rant about stuff I hate all the time. So that got me to thinking, why not share the reasons why I really like something instead. So here you go; plus it means I am much less angry because I get to do stuff I enjoy rather than moan about stuff I hate.

This month there has been an album I have not been able to stop listening to - Ten Years Gone: the Best of Everclear 1994 - 2004. When I was first played Everclear I found them hard to get into as a band, mainly because I was introduced to them as a Grunge band. On the surface they do have the makings of one, with catchy hooks and heavy guitar lines; but for me there was a certain rawness missing from their sound. There are exceptions to this, most notably Fire Maple Song. Lyrically a lot of their songs are from the Grunge end of the music spectrum, giving songs a heartfelt and open quality. Also, the song styles vary so much that I found it hard to know how to take the band. For example tracks like Wonderful, a retrospective look at the feelings of a boy as his parents were splitting up; and Father Of Mine, about the singer's father leaving, are placed between songs like Volvo Driving Soccer Mom and AM Radio.

One of the main reasons this album has been stealing my mind so much is a lot to do with the fact there are so many different sounds and 'feels' to the songs on the album. There is something to match your mood no matter what it might be, and there is never too much of one thing. For example, for all the tracks about loss and separation, there are also songs about love and hope. This is one time I am glad to admit I was wrong. What I originally saw as an inconsistency in style I now see as a kind of honesty. Although the singer has obviously been through bad times, he clearly appreciates the good things that happen. This means that listening to them isn't all doom and gloom but isn't all lightness and frivolity. Saying that, some of the more upbeat songs on this album have very deep lyrics, which is another reason I really started liking the band. In an era when a lot of bands with the same kind of sound were singing about sex and fart jokes, Everclear had real substance to their material.

There are 2 cover tracks on this album, and I have to say that they were brave choices. By the law of covers because I like the originals I shouldn't like the covers, but because the band makes them their own it works. The slower version of 'Boys Are Back In Town' works surprisingly well. I really like the Thin Lizzy original, but both tempo's work equally well. The cover of Van Morrison's 'Brown Eyed Girl' has the addition of 2 extra lines at the start makes it sound more unique and is a very clever idea. It becomes a self aware cover version, as the singer is sining along to the radio.

Everclear is a great band, although it did take a while for them to grow on me. I totally recommend checking them out. My personal favourite tracks, and ones I really recommend, are 'Fire Maple Song', 'Summerland' and 'Local God'.

No comments:

Post a Comment